I don’t like blueberries on their own but recently I’ve been loving anything blueberry flavoured so I wanted to try making a blueberry buttercream. As soon as I made I was obsessed with it. Yes the flavour was great, the colour was also very pretty but the SMELL…..you have to make this just to experience the smell I had experienced.
Anyway, I mentioned this in my vanilla buttercream recipe that I posted. My buttercream is the one recipe that you need an electric mixer for, it is pretty much impossible to make by hand!
Blueberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- for the blueberry compote:
50g granulated sugar
15g corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp water
- for the buttercream:
6 egg whites
330g granulated sugar
450g softened unsalted butter
2 tsp vanilla
- blueberry compote:
- add the blueberries, sugar and water into a pot and place this pot over medium heat
- whiles this is cooking, use a spoon to mash the blueberries as much as you can
- once most of the mixture is smooth (it's ok if there are still some lumps of blueberries) add in the corn flour/water mixture
- continue heating until the mixture thickens, this should only take about a minute
- take this off the heat then push this mixture through a sieve to get rid of any lumps. now leave this in the fridge to cool
- start by putting a few inches of water into a pot and put this pot over medium heat
- in a bowl whisk together the egg whites and sugar. then once the water comes to a boil, put the bowl on top of the pot making sure that the boiling water isn't touching the bottom of the bowl
- whiles constantly mixing, keep heating the mixture until the sugar has completely dissolved. you can test this by dipping your finger into it, then rub the mixture between your finger and thumb. if you don't feel any grains of sugar, it's ready
- pour this into the bowl of your mixer then whip on high speed until the mixture cools down. around 10-20 minutes is good, just feel the sides of the bowl, if it doesn't feel hot anymore it's ready for the butter
- whiles the mixture is still running, but on low speed now, add the butter piece by piece
- keep whipping this until the buttercream comes together, then once it has, add in the vanilla and the blueberry compote
- if you're using a stand mixer, at this point i recommend switching to the paddle attachment. if you keep the mixer on the lowest speed for about 5-10 minutes, it will get rid of any air bubbles leaving you with a much smoother buttercream!
How much buttercream does this make? I don’t wanna make too many/not enough cake/muffins 😊
It makes enough for about 12 cupcakes!!