Brown butter + brown sugar buttercream. I am in love with this, the FLAVOUR is so good. I don’t know how to describe it but the flavour tastes warm……like toasty……I DON’T KNOW OK just trust me it is good.
Anyway, this is another variation of my Swiss meringue buttercream, I just changed the butter and switched the sugar and it made the flavour better, the colour better and also the smell so much better!!
Brown Butter Buttercream
520g unsalted butter
6 egg whites
(or 200g if you're using the ones from a carton)
165g granulated sugar
165g brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
- to make the brown butter, add the butter into a large pot and put this over medium heat. the butter will bubble up a lot so use a pot that has high sides
- keep heating this, whiles stirring, until the butter turns a deep brown colour. once it has turned brown, weigh it. you want the final weight of the butter to be 450g, if it's less than this, just add in some regular butter until it reaches the right weight
- leave this in the fridge too cool. you want to let it cool until it goes back to having the same texture as softened butter
- now to make the actual buttercream, add a few inches of water into a pot and let this come to a boil. once it starts boiling, add a bowl over it, making sure the bottom of the bowl isn't touching the water
- add the egg whites and sugar into this bowl and keep heating, whiles constantly stirring, until all the sugar is dissolved
- test this by rubbing some of the mixture between your fingers, if you can't feel any grains of sugar, it's done
- whip this on high speed for 10 minutes. at this point if the bowl still feels hot, keep on mixing, if not you can add in the butter
- add in the soft brown butter, bit by bit and keep whipping the mixture until it comes together
- now just add in the vanilla and that's it!!