A while ago I made cornflake brownies, ever since I made them I wanted to make cornflake cookies too. I have to say though, cornflakes….extremely average. Not a good cereal at all. But once they’re covered in salted caramel they’re a 10/10, and THEN THE ADDITION OF A COOKIE, these get a 12/10 from me. The crunch from the cornflakes with a soft brownie like cookie makes these so good, you need to try them!
Tips for the cornflake topping:
So the cornflake part of these cookies is literally just cornflakes thrown into some caramel. If you’ve never made caramel before here are a few tips:
- The first step is to melt some sugar, once this sugar has melted you want to move quickly. Therefore, make sure to have all the other ingredients already measured.
- Your butter needs to be at room temp and the cream needs to be warm. If you add cold ingredients to the melted sugar, the sugar will just set and the caramel will end up lumpy.
Ok that’s all, I thought I was gonna have a lot more tips but I guess the rest is pretty simple. I hope you like this recipe!!
Caramel Cornflake Cookies
Makes: 6 cookies
- For the cookies:
100g unsalted butter
50g cocoa powder
100g granulated sugar
100g brown sugar
220g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
- For the cornflake topping:
240g granulated sugar
75g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
150ml warm double cream
1/2 tsp salt
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 180c/350f and also line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Add the butter into a bowl, melt this in the microwave, then whisk in the cocoa powder.
- Now add both sugars, mix this in, then add in the eggs.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add this into the other bowl and mix until a dough forms.
- Create 6 cookie dough balls out of the dough. I like to use an ice cream scoop to do this, each one of my cookie dough balls were around 100g.
- Place these onto your tray making sure to leave a gap between them so they have room to spread.
- Bake these for 20 minutes. Half way through, I like to take the tray out and slam it down on my counter a few times just to flatten them a little, then I put them back in the oven for the remaining time.
- The cornflake topping:
- Add the sugar into a pot that has high sides, and place this pot over medium-low heat.
- You want to keep heating this, whiles constantly stirring, until all the sugar completely melts and turns a deep amber colour.
- Once this happens, take if off the heat and mix in the butter. Then slowly pour in the cream, whiles mixing. Then mix in the salt and cornflakes.
- Leave this aside to cool down for at least 10 minutes.
- Putting them together:
- Add dollops of the cornflake mixture on top of the cooled cookies, then flatten it out. The easiest way to do this is by using wet hands.
- Let these set for about 30 minutes and then enjoy!