About a month ago I made blueberry cheesecake pies. When I posted that video I got a lot of comments saying a savoury version would be so good.
I was like YES ABSOLUTELY. So I made chicken and cheese ones this time.
I’m not very good at making savoury food. Whenever I try cooking everything goes wrong and suddenly my oven is on fire. But I think I’m entering my cooking era, I want to learn.
I fried these, just because I feel like this gives you the flakiest result. However, when frying puff pastry, if the oil temp is wrong, there is a risk of it tasting oily.
This usually happens when the oil temp is too low. Make sure the oil is hot before adding them in, if you have a thermometer, 180c is perfect.
If you do want to make things a little easier, you can also bake or air-fry these and they will still taste great!
If you want to air-fry them. Just add them into your air-fryer, spray them with a little bit of oil then air-fry them at 160c for around 20-25 minutes. Or until they’re golden brown.
If you want to bake them, add them onto a baking paper lined tray, brush them with an egg wash and bake in a pre-heated 180c oven for 20-25 minutes. Or again, until they’re a golden brown colour.
Chicken and Cheese Pies
2 chicken breast fillets
Salt and pepper (to taste)
2 teaspoons chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
2 packets ready rolled puff pastry
Plus some cheese (I used mozzarella slices)
- Making the chicken:
- Start by washing and cutting your chicken into small pieces and add this into a bowl.
- Add all the seasonings, the brown sugar, soy sauce and lemon juice. Mix everything together.
- Place a pan over medium heat, then add a drizzle of oil. Once the pan is hot, add in the chicken.
- Cook this until the chicken is done, because the pieces are small, this won't take long. Around 5-8 minutes is good.
- Add the chicken onto a chopping board, and cut it into even smaller pieces. You don't want big pieces of chicken because these pieces will just poke holes in the pastry. Leave aside to cool down.
- Making the pies:
- Get the puff pastry and cut into rectangles. I get 10 rectangles from one sheet of pastry. You can do them whatever size you want, my rectangles were 7.5x12 cm.
- Get 1 rectangle of pastry, add some chicken into the centre, add some cheese on top, then add another rectangle of pastry on top. Seal the sides with a fork.
- Once you've used all the pastry, leave these in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Frying them:
- Fry in some hot oil (at 180c) until golden brown on both sides and then you are done!