Recently I found out that chocolate caramel sauce was a thing. I don’t why but I had never really thought about adding other things too caramel. I always just thought caramel is caramel, there was no need to add any other flavours to it. So the idea of adding chocolate to caramel blew my mind, I had to try it.
All I did was add some dark chocolate to the regular caramel I make. THIS WAS SO GOOD. I didn’t expect the chocolate to change the texture of the caramel, it turned it into kinda like a fudge sauce but with a caramel flavour. You have to try this!
Also by the way, I know a lot of people don’t like dark chocolate; trust me it’s the best chocolate to use for this. There’s already so much sugar in this, you don’t wanna add any extra by using milk chocolate.
If you’ve never made caramel before these tips might help. But also I don’t know if I’m the best person to give advice so maybe watch a tutorial:
- Once the sugar has melted, you wanna move quick so make sure to have all the ingredients ready beforehand
- When you mix in the butter, and then the cream, you need to mix pretty vigorously otherwise the sugar will start to get lumpy
- A lot of steam comes out of this, so I recommend wearing oven gloves when mixing to stop your hand from getting burnt
Chocolate Salted Caramel
300g granulated sugar
(i use unsalted but salted works too, just don't add in the extra salt)
180ml warm double cream
150g dark chocolate
Salt (to taste)
- start by melting your sugar, so add about a third of the sugar into a non-stick pot and put this over medium-low heat
- keep stirring this, constantly, until the sugar starts to melt. add in another third of the sugar and keep stirring again until the sugar has melted a little. now add in the final third of the sugar
- make sure to not walk away from this, you want to keep on stirring it. just keep heating, and stirring until all the sugar has melted and it has turned a deep caramel colour
- take this off the heat and immediately add in the butter. mix this in, then slowly pour in the cream whiles mixing at the same time
- add in the chocolate, mix until it's all melted then add in the salt
- at this point you can sieve it if you feel like there is any lumps. them just let it cool and you're done!
- you can store this in the fridge for about 2-3 weeks. just heat it up whenever you want to use it!