I’ve never tried garlic parmesan fries before, I don’t see a lot of places around me sell it.
But I’m always seeing videos of garlic parmesan fries, THEY ALWAYS LOOK SO GOOD. I needed to try them.
I’m so glad I did, garlic parmesan fries are so fun. The flavour is amazing, and these fries were also so crispy, I loved them!
Breakdown of the process
Making these garlic parmesan fries is pretty easy, and there are also not a lot of ingredients needed.
But there are a few different steps, here’s what you are going to need to do:
- Peel and chop your potatoes – you can leave the skin on if you want too, but I decided to peel mine.
- Soak the potatoes in ice cold salt water – you want to leave these for an hour.
- Drain and dry your fries – after they have been soaked, you want to make sure to pat the fries dry completely.
- Coat them in corn flour – also known as corn starch.
- Double fry them – we’re going to double fry these, for extra crispiness. I’ll talk more about this later.
- Make the garlic butter – this is the last step, you just want to make the butter, toss the fries in this and then you’re done.
Soaking the potato in salt water
One of the first steps in making these is too soak the potato in cold salty water for an hour.
This salt water does 2 things:
- The water removes extra starch from the potatoes, which will give you crispier fries.
- And the salt will draw out the moisture from the potatoes. This will also give you crispier fries.
My main goal for these fries was crispiness, I didn’t want to end up with soggy fries.
Can I skip this step?
Personally I think this step is worth it. Yes you have to wait an hour, but it gives you much better fries.
But to answer the question, yes they will still work if you don’t soak them, they’ll just be less crispy.
If you did want to save time, I would recommend soaking them for 30 minutes instead of an hour, or even just 10 minutes. I would say this is better than not soaking them at all.
Double frying the fries
Once the fries have been soaked, we are going to pat them completely dry, then coat them with some corn flour.
Then it’s time to fry them.
We are going to double fry these, this is also going to help give you crispy fries.
Double frying is something that is done a lot for fries and also fried chicken. The first fry is typically at a lower temperature, the goal for this fry is to cook whatever you are frying.
Then the second fry is at a higher temperate, the goal for this fry is to make the outside of whatever you are making, crispy.
How to double fry these
The 1st fry:
- Heat your oil to 150c.
- Add your fries into this, don’t add them all in at once, you don’t want to overcrowd your pot. Add them in batches.
- Fry for around 8 minutes. This time will vary depending on the thickness of your fries. You just want them to be cooked, but they should have gained no colour.
- Take these out of the oil and leave to drain on a wire rack.
The 2nd fry:
- Heat your oil to 200c.
- Add in your fries, do this in batches.
- Fry them until golden and crispy.
- Take them out and leave on a wire rack.
I know this might seem like a lot of work, but trust me it will be worth it.
The garlic butter
The last step is to make the garlic butter. To make this, all you need is:
- Chilli flakes
That is it, you just melt the butter, mix this with the other ingredients, then mix this garlic butter with your fries.
I just wanted to mention that you can make this to taste. If you want to take out the chilli flakes you can, or if you want to add more seasonings, you can. Or you could also use more garlic, or less garlic than I did.
It is totally up to you, make this garlic butter the way you like it!