A few days ago I found out that potato mochi was a thing. I did not know AND I LOVE MOCHI.
It seemed very easy to make, so I decided to make them immediately.
THESE ARE SO SOFT, a little sweet and a little chewy. Over the past few days I have learnt that I love potato mochi.
What is potato mochi?
When I first heard about this, I was a little confused. I had no idea what it was.
Because when I think of mochi, I think of desserts. I’ve only ever had sweet mochi, not savoury.
Anyway, potato mochi is a Japanese snack that is made from mashed potatoes, that have been mixed with potato starch. I also stuffed mine with cheese.
After they have been cooked, they are coated in a sweet and savoury soy sauce glaze. They are also typically wrapped in a sheet of nori…I forgot to do this though, I am sorry.
You end up with something that is so soft and slightly chewy, and sweet but savoury. It’s so good!
Ingredients for the potato mochi
You don’t need a lot of ingredients for this. Here’s what you will need
- Potato starch
- Some cheese. I used mozzarella but you can use your favourite.
Essentially, all you are doing is boiling your potatoes until they are fork tender.
Then you mash them, mix in the potato starch and salt. Then divide the mixture, stuff with cheese and form them into circles.
The potato starch
From what I’ve seen, potato starch is typically used. So this is what I used too.
Most Asian supermarkets sell potato starch, or if you are like me and don’t like going outside, you can also get it from Amazon.
I did want to mention though, glutinous rice flour could be used instead, if this is easier for you to get. Or corn flour/cornstarch can be used.
BUT with that being said, I’ve only tried making this with potato starch. So take what I’m saying lightly, this is just what I’ve heard.
Cooking the potato mochi
Once you have formed your circles, you can cook them.
To do this, you just need a large pan.
Put this over medium heat, add a little bit of oil into this, let it heat up, then add your potato mochi into the pan.
I don’t have an exact time on how long it will take to cook these. You just want to cook them until they’re a golden brown colour and crispy on both sides.
Once they are golden on both sides, take them out of the pan then we can move onto the glaze.
When looking at videos of this, I saw that everyone makes their glaze slightly different.
I don’t know how authentic the one I made is. But I wanted to keep it simple, and I was just making it with ingredients that I had.
Here’s what I used for the glaze:
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar – granulated sugar does work, but brown sugar gives some extra flavour.
- Unsalted butter
I just heated these ingredients together in a pan for a few minutes, until it thickened slightly.
Then I added my cooked potato mochi into this pan and then let them cook in the glaze for a minute or two, on both sides.
Then that is it, you can dig in. Potato mochi is extremely easy to make.
2-3 large potatoes, chopped and peeled (you want about 500g of potato, after being chopped and peeled)
4 tablespoons potato starch
1/4 teaspoon salt
Plus some cheese (I used mozzarella, but use your favourite)
- For the sauce:
2 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
20g unsalted butter
- Start by filling a pot with water, sprinkle a large pinch of salt into this, then place this on high heat. Let this come to a boil.
- Once your water comes to a boil, add the potatoes into this and boil them until fork tender.
- Once fork tender, drain them. Then add the potatoes into a bowl and mash them.
- Add the potato starch and salt into this, mix until combined.
- Divide this mixture into 6-8 pieces. The more pieces you have, the smaller your potato mochi will be, so keep this in mind.
- Get one piece of the potato mixture and flatten this in your hands. Add some cheese into the centre then form this into a circle, making sure the potato is fully covering the cheese.
- Keep repeating this until you've used all of the potato mixture.
- Get a large pan and place this onto medium heat. Add some oil into this and let this heat up.
- Add your potato mochi into this and cook until both sides are a golden brown colour.
- The sauce:
- In a separate pan, add all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Heat this on medium heat for a few minutes. You just want the mixture to thicken slightly.
- Add your cooked potato mochi into the pan, let them cook in the sauce on one side for about a minute or two, then flip them over and let them cook in the sauce on the other side for another minute or two.
- Now they are done, enjoy whiles warm!