I had been wanting to make this for a while but I kept putting it off because I thought the flavour of a strawberry might be strange inside of cookies. Turns out I was wrong the flavours were great, and the smell was even better.
I am lowkey mad at myself for not adding chocolate covered strawberries on top instead, that would’ve elevated the cookie but anyways enjoy!
Strawberry and Cream Cookies
- for the cookies:
120g unsalted butter
15g freeze dried strawberry powder
140g granulated sugar
40g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
225g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
pink food colouring
- for the whipped cream:
100g cream cheese
150ml double cream
80g granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
plus 6 strawberries for the top
- start by melting the butter then mix this with the freeze dried strawberry powder
- pour this into a large bowl then whisk in both sugars and the vanilla
- add in the egg. at this point you can also add in some pink food colouring if you want a brighter colour
- in a separate bowl mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda together
- add this into the other bowl and mix everything until a dough forms. try not to over mix this
- create cookie dough balls out of the dough, i like to do mine at around 100g each
- place these balls onto a tray and leave them in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. pre-heat your oven to 180c/350f during this time
- once the cookie dough balls have chilled, place them onto a large tray, leaving a gap between each one, then bake for around 18 - 20 minutes
- whipped cream:
- in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese with a spoon just until it's smooth
- add this into a larger bowl along with the cream, sugar and vanilla
- whisk all this together until it becomes thick. leave this in the fridge whiles the cookies cool
- once the cookies have completely cooled, add some of the cream on top of them and smooth it out. i like to use a piping bag to put the cream on but you can also just use a spoon
- add the strawberries on top and that's pretty much it!
- depending on where you live, freeze dried strawberry powder might be hard to find. i just get mine from amazon, from a brand called honey berry!
Does this recipe have a strong strawberry flavor? I was thinking about substituting the vanilla with strawberry extract or emulsion.
The strawberry flavour isn’t super strong so yesss using a strawberry extract will taste great!!