So you know how I love turning desserts into crème brûlée, I also love turning things into tiramisu. I actually don’t even know how to make a regular degular tiramisu, I think I made one 2 years ago but I’ve never made my own recipe for it.
I always feel like if there’s already a lot of good recipes out there for a certain dessert, there is no way I can top them so instead I just choose to make something inspired by that dessert instead.
Brown sugar in cupcakes?
By the way I used brown sugar in these cupcakes, this was the first time I’ve done this. I love brown sugar but I only really use it in cookies.
However, I decided to throw it into these because tiramisu has a lot of flavour, so I was trying to find way to give these cupcakes a lot of flavour too. I felt like the flavours from brown sugar would go well with the coffee flavour.
THE BROWN SUGAR MADE THESE CUPCAKES SO SOFT whiles also giving them so much more flavour. I will not be making cupcakes without brown sugar ever again I think. Anyway I hope you like this recipe!
Makes: 12 Cupcakes
- for the cupcakes:
125g softened unsalted butter
(margarine works too)
125ml vegetable oil
125g granulated sugar
125g brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
250g self-raising flour
60ml hot milk mixed with 1 tbsp instant coffee
- for the mascarpone cream:
300ml double cream
100g icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
plus some cocoa powder to dust on top
- start by pre-heating your oven to 180c/350f and also add your cupcake cases into your tin
- add the butter, oil, both sugars, and vanilla into a bowl. beat these together using an electric mixer, on medium-high speed, for 5 minutes. if you are doing this by hand it will still work, just aggressively whisk it for as long as you can
- add in 2 of the eggs, mix these in, then add the remaining 2 eggs
- now just add the flour and milk. mix until you get a smooth batter
- fill your cupcake cases with this until they're about 3/4 of the way full, then bake these for around 20-25 minutes, just until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- leave these to cool
- mascarpone cream:
- add you mascarpone into a bowl and mix this with a spoon, just too loosen it up a little and make it smooth
- in a separate large bowl, add in the cream, icing sugar and vanilla. whisk this until the mixture thickens slightly
- add the mascarpone into this and whisk until you get a smooth, thick mixture
- once the cupcakes have cooled completely, pipe the cream on top of them, then using a sieve dust some cocoa powder on top and then you're done!
- these can stay out at room temperature for about 2 hours but then they need to go in the fridge. they taste good straight from the fridge so i recommend just leaving them in there!!